Our Aquatic Education program involves Swimming lessons and the entire Aquatic strand of the Physical Education Curriculum as set out by Department of Education and include
- The importance of Hygiene
- Water Safety including Pool Rules and water hazards
- Entry to and exit from the water and the Pool area
- Buoyancy, Floatation, Propulsion and Gliding
- Water based games
- Develop a selection of swimming strokes, i.e.,
Front crawl, Back crawl, Breast stroke and Butterfly
- Practice of personal Survival Skills
- Ability to Thread water at deep end and swim head-up to pool bank
- Understanding and appreciation of Aquatics.
This Education together with Swimming stroke proficiency and our continual assessment of your child’s progress will contribute to your child’s education, safety and appreciation of the dangers of water whether in pools, rivers, lakes or by the sea.
Our Aquatic Educational activities and Swimming lessons are held every day at Oakgrove Leisure Centre and on selected dates at Lavanagh Centre, Ballintemple. When our assessment team are satisfied with the completion of your child’s Aquatic Education programme and proficiency in swimming strokes, your child has the option of bodily exercise via lane swimming, both here at Oakgrove and at Douglas Pool or proceed to Lifesaving courses held independently at other swimming pools.